1. “I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations … I would be the first to let you know. Unfortunately, that day has come.”
2. What was this a joke about?
3. Who was apparently confirmed as a Condi Rice fanboy?
4. According to “Mr Nice Guy”, New Zealand has a “socialist streak … not like Sweden, but it’s there”. Who is Mr Nice Guy, whom was he speaking to, and how did we learn this?
5. Nick Helm was judged to have produced the best joke at the Edinburgh fringe. What was it?
1. It is of course Steve Jobs, in his letter resigning as Apple CEO. He will become chairman of the company.
“Steve Jobs’ resignation as chief executive officer of Apple is the end of an extraordinary era, not just for Apple, but for the global technology industry in general,” writes Walt Mossberg in an erudite analysis. And here’s a bunch of his best quotes.
Oh, and the Onion’s take is a chuckle – “New Apple CEO Tim Cook: ‘I’m Thinking Printers’.”
2. The caption was DC Earthquake devastation – this was the most circulated of a number of jokes about US east coast residents spilling coffee and other horrors after Wednesday’s shake.
The funniest tweet, meanwhile, was this:
3. Colonel Muammar Gaddafi. An album full of photographs of the former US secretary of state was discovered in the Libyan despot’s abandoned hideout.
Apparently Gaddafi once said of Condi: “I support my darling black African woman. I admire and am very proud of the way she leans back and gives orders to the Arab leaders. … Leezza, Leezza, Leezza. … I love her very much. I admire her, and I’m proud of her, because she’s a black woman of African origin.”