“A lovely thing about Christmas is that it’s compulsory, like a thunderstorm, and we all go through it together.”
– US author and broadcaster Garrison Keillor.
“I like work. It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.”
– Jerome K Jerome, quoted in the Wall Street Journal.
“Our children await Christmas presents like politicians getting election returns; there’s the Uncle Fred precinct and the Aunt Ruth district still to come in.”
– US writer Marcelene Cox.
“Facebook has announced that it will not be developing any of its own games … Facebook can still take credit for that one popular game: ‘Guess who got fat since high school.’”
– US TV show host Jimmy Fallon.
“President Obama met with leaders of the American Indian tribes and they honoured the president by giving him his own Indian name: ‘Running Deficit’.”
– US TV show host Jay Leno.
“Skyfall is the best instalment yet of the Home Alone franchise.”
– The Colbert Report writer Dan Guterman on Twitter.
“Only two things are necessary to keep one’s wife happy. First, let her think she’s having her own way. And second, let her have it.”
– Lyndon B Johnson, quoted in the Daily Telegraph and the Week.
“If you go looking for a friend, you’re going to find they’re very scarce. If you go out to be a friend, you’ll find them everywhere.”
– US author Zig Ziglar.