“In a library we are surrounded by many hundreds of dear friends imprisoned by an enchanter in paper and leathern boxes.”
– Ralph Waldo Emerson, writer and philosopher (1803-1882).
“These islands have always contained multitudes and welcomed newcomers: some of my best friends are Jutes.”
– Matthew D’Ancona on the immigration debate in the Sunday Telegraph.
“Anyone who thinks the world would be a better place if it were run by women doesn’t remember high school.”
– Madeleine Albright, quoted on the Huffington Post.
“The upper middle classes like anything ecological: it assuages their guilt. Give your posh friends a bag of muddy parsnips. They’ll love it.”
– Grayson Perry, quoted in the Mail on Sunday.
“People often say that motivation doesn’t last. Well, neither does bathing – that’s why we recommend it daily.”
– US author Zig Ziglar.
“If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it’s stupid.”
– Albert Einstein, quoted on the Huffington Post.
“Republicans and Democrats are working on a new bill to streamline the healthcare system. It will reduce the cost of mammograms and prostate exams. But don’t worry. They’ll still be free at the airport.”
– Jimmy Fallon.
“I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather … not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.”
– comedian Wil Shriner.