“The Bible tells us to love our neighbours and also to love our enemies; probably because they are generally the same people.”
– author GK Chesterton.
“A true gentleman is someone who is never unintentionally rude.”
– Oscar Wilde.
“I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.”
– All Blacks legend Sir Fred Allen.
“A 9-year-old African- American girl was nominated for an Oscar. How good is she? She played the title role in Lincoln.”
– US TV show host Conan O’Brien on Twitter.
“Their paranoid fear of a possible dystopic future prevents us from addressing our actual dystopic present.”
– TV show host Jon Stewart on gun-control opponents.
“Nothing reassures parents more than surrounding their kids with the kind of guys who have a lot of weapons and nothing to do on weekdays.”
– US TV show host Stephen Colbert on putting armed guards in schools.
“Kathryn Bigelow’s nominated tonight. I haven’t really been following the controversy over Zero Dark Thirty, but when it comes to torture, I trust the lady who spent three years married to James Cameron.’’
– Amy Poehler at the Golden Globes.
“There were flames flying around everywhere … I just felt calm and I knew God would look after me. He didn’t do a very good job with the house, though.”
– Clive Hartley reflects in the Press on his parents’ house being razed in the Canterbury fires.