“In Massachusetts, a dad promised his daughter $200 if she would get off Facebook, which is ridiculous, because every parent knows the best way to get a kid off of Facebook is to join Facebook.”
– US talk-show host Conan O’Brien.
“Painting is an argument between what it looks like and what it means.”
– Australian painter Brett Whiteley (1939-92).
“The greatest art always returns you to the vulnerability of the human situation.”
– Painter Francis Bacon (1909-92).
“Win or lose, I’ll be drinking – that’s the good news.”
– actor George Clooney.
“It’s possible the numbers will move around.”
– Finance Minister Bill English conceding estimates of proceeds from asset sales may need to lowered.
“There was a lot of controversy over the multiple uses of the ‘N word’ in the film. I’m told the film was loosely based on Mel Gibson’s voice mail.”
– Oscars host Seth MacFarlane on the movie Django Unchained.
“Tonight’s ceremony is being watched by close to a billion people worldwide, which is why Jodie Foster will be up here in a bit to ask for her privacy.”
– Seth MacFarlane.
“The Academy Awards show is four hours long, and they give out awards for editing. That takes a lot of nerve.”
– US TV show host David Letterman.
“The best picture was called Argo. It was about a heroic Hollywood producer. Wow, how did something like that ever win?”
– David Letterman.